Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Time is getting short

There always comes a point in each musical when I wonder if things will really come together. This time around, it's happened a few times. I've learned from it - that I really should have more than a month for a production, for sanity's sake - but I'm also reminded of past productions, that things do come together by God's grace.

Things were a little rough at our first dress rehearsal tonight. There's still so much I wish could be corrected. We'll have Thursday to go over the final things, but things should be done by then.

It's easy to beat myself up, to say that I really could have done more, or should be able to explain things better. But, I have worked as hard as I could in God's strength, and God has allowed a lot to be done. Looking back from where we started, there have been definite improvements! =)

Also, I am working with children, so things will never be exactly right. I can't expect a 7-year-old to act like a 17-year-old. But, we're all in it together, and that is part of the beauty of the experience: generations working together for God's glory.

I also only have 2-3 rehearsals a week, whereas most places rehearse every night. But, I don't want to pull families away from home more than we already do, so we just have to work through the limited number of practices that we have.

It's not a perfect production, but I'm learning through it. I still pray that God pulls everything together in His time, but even it isn't flawless (and it never will be!), God can still use it. It's not to excuse us from working as hard as we can towards excellence, but in the end, we've got to leave things to God.

There's not much else I can do. I can remind people of their assignments, I can encourage, but most of all, I can pray. And as I continue working, I can rest in the knowledge that the outcome is in God's hands.

2 comments:

  1. Anna,

    The play is going to turn out terrific, don't you worry! Keep in mind, the purpose is to honor God, and bring glory to Him, not to have all go as planned. I oftentimes have to remind myself that on a daily basis whether its running late to something, a burnt meal, etc.

    You have done an amazing job directing this play, and I can see God working through you. The actors are doing great, and I can't wait until this weekend!

    See you then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Samantha. God keeps teaching me this, to trust and not worry about the outcome. Thanks for reminding me that perfection isn't the aim... and God has already used this musical in a great way for the families involved.

    Thanks as well for you wonderful help!

    ReplyDelete